Monday, February 24, 2014

Fertility of the Feminine Heart ~Artist Process~


Fertility of the Feminine Heart ~ 20"x14" acrylic 

I began this painting in late December 2013, and completed it in late January 2014. I don't like to force inspiration for a painting, so I waited a few weeks to let the background reveal itself to me. 

I am fortunate to have a sister who works with flowers (she has secretly always been a flower fairy) and  I am constantly receiving an abundance of flowers to fill my room. My favorite is the Lily, which has a feminine fullness and spiral that resonates with my long time love of the spiral motif. This photo of a Lily bouquet next to a sculpture I made long ago titled,"Feminine Fertility" captures the essence of what my painting, "Fertility of the Feminine Heart" embodies. 

I made the first concept sketches around the time of the winter solstice:



On the day of the Solstice I had a powerful experience on the phone with my mom. I was talking about how I was so tired of all the hype around the holiday season and how was I feeling exhausted from my job in customer service at a grocery store. 
Then a simple statement slipped from my mouth, "I just want to paint!", and I was caught off guard by an uncontrollable surge of tears, laughter, and convulsion. I opened my teary eyes and the sun was shining directly into them, casting glitter and rainbows all throughout my vision. This profound flow of shakti energy was a big wake-up call that I must paint! And so "Fertility of the Feminine Heart"was born.


She began with a flower:





At this point I didn't know how to approach the background and I left her sitting on my easel for several weeks. When I came back to her on January 22nd I did a witness writing to get clear on what she meant to me:

"Heart seed blooming

My intention for this painting was to show feminine flowering, the ripeness of a seed sprouting in the heart, flowering on the crown as divine manifestation. The hands hold the seed over the heart showing how I use my hands to craft and create the visions of my heart. The breasts are a symbol of fertility and the feminine power of creation. The background is empty and I intend to show ferns unfurling as a symbol of the regenerative power of nature that we as humans create alongside with. "

After painting into the wee hours of the night, I wrote an update in my journal:

"She found a home in the forest. Grounded with her back against a big sturdy trunk. Covered in moss and fern, the forest is teaming with life. Soon to come are mushrooms and dying/composting leaves. Her heartseed is glowing."

And so it was:




Final journal entry I wrote on 1/23/14 in a blissed out state after I completed the finishing touches:

I dedicate my life to making art!
I have so much gratitude for this clarity on my spiritual path.
I have never felt so alive as when I paint... I feel as if I am in the forest when I paint it. 
My expression of imagination transports me to the most beautiful place of my dreams 
~*~


Thanks for witnessing my process! much Love~ Shastina




No comments:

Post a Comment