Sunday, February 23, 2014

Dance of the Ever Changing Landscape ~Artist Process~


"Dance of The Ever Changing Landscape"
 Acrylic 14"x18"  

Just as the Sun, Moon, and Seasons
 dance through cycles of death and rebirth, 
our spirit rises and falls in a wave of emotions. 
I fly high and sink low,
 knowing it will only last 
until the wheel turns once again.


The inspiration for this painting was sparked by the drastic changes I was aware of in my emotional wave during fall and winter 2013. This is something I have always witnessed in myself, one day full of optimism and exuberance for life, then the next day, or even hour, feeling overcome by grief, despair, and overwhelm. I envisioned my emotional wave as a yin yang, contrasting opposites that create the wholeness that is the full spectrum of my emotional human experience. I saw this mirrored in the opposites found everywhere in nature, and chose to portray this contrast through the images of night and day, sun and moon, spring flowers and winter branches. 

I drew the concept sketches in November and painted the faces in December, then didn't come back to it until I finished it in one day of strong inspiration on February 18th. 

Stages of Creation: 





No comments:

Post a Comment